Cat® ELC ™ Coolant
Extended life coolant (ELC) for Cat® diesel, gasoline and original equipment manufacturer (OEM) engines.
Recommendations for use
- Cat® ELC coolant meets or exceeds the requirements of the following specifications and recommendations:
- Cat EC-1
- TMC RP-329
- TMC RP-338
- ASTM D-3306
- ASTM D-6210
- SAE J1034
Cat® ELC coolant also meets the requirements of Cummins, Detroit Diesel, International, Mack and Volvo.
- Cat® ELC coolant has been designed, tested and approved by Caterpillar® to meet the high standards applied to genuine Cat components.
- Factory charged — this coolant is the standard factory charge on all Cat machines.
- Lower maintenance costs – it provides up to 50% lower engine coolant and additive costs than traditional coolants. Cat® ELC Coolant eliminates the need for additional additives, extends coolant drain intervals and reduces disposal requirements.
- Improved protection of metal parts – has an improved formulation of corrosion inhibitors based on organic acid salts such as mono- and dicarboxylates, which provide maximum protection for parts made of copper, bronze, steel, cast iron and aluminum, as well as solders.
S•O•SSM program for early troubleshooting
Protect your investment with the Cat® S•O•SSM scheduled coolant sampling and analysis program – the ultimate detection and diagnostic tool for your equipment. We recommend that coolant samples be analyzed using the S•O•SSM Level 1 program at the intervals outlined in the operation and maintenance manual and the S•O•SSM Level 2 program — at least once a year for all equipment.
Cat® ELC Extender extends coolant life
- Exceeds Cat® EC-1 coolant requirements.
- Protects the surfaces of the block and cylinder liners from pitting and cavitation erosion.
- Injected into the coolant after 500,000 kilometers (300,000 miles) (for Cat on-road trucks) or 6,000 hours (for Cat industrial engines).
- The addition of this additive is required only once during the life of the coolant.
- Ensures rated Cat ELC coolant performance for 1,000,000 km (600,000 miles) of vehicle run or 12,000 engine hours.
Frequency of adding Cat® ELC Extender and flushing the cooling system
Cat® ELC Extender should be added to the coolant after 6,000 engine hours or 500,000 km (300,000 miles) of vehicle travel. After 12,000 operating hours or 1,000,000 km (600,000 miles), the coolant should be drained and the cooling system flushed with clean water. Flushing should be carried out without the use of cleaning agents. With regular S•O•SSM analysis of coolant samples, the safe life of Cat ELC coolant can exceed 12,000 hours.
Harmless and safe
When it is used as intended and in accordance with established requirements, these materials do not pose a health hazard. With excessive prolonged exposure, they can irritate the eyes, skin and respiratory system. When working with these materials, hygiene requirements must be observed at all times. Carefully read the relevant Material Handling Hazardous Material Data Sheet (MSDS) before starting work. The MSDS can be found on the website if needed.
Cat dealers provide world-class logistics support
Anytime, anywhere, we offer the most requested parts and service solutions.
Trained specialists from the Caterpillar® dealer network can help you keep your machines up and running to keep your investment profitable.